A regional center dedicated to excellence in public service by providing professional, scientific, and compassionate forensic death investigation services.
Location and Contact Information
Medical Examiner's Office
5901 N Lidgerwood St, Suite 24B
Spokane, WA 99208-1126
Phone: (509) 477-2296
Fax: (509) 477-6327
E-mail Form: Contact Us
Maps and Directions to the Medical Examiner's Office
Responsibilities of a Medical Examiner System
- Determine the cause and manner of death
(Manner of death is one of 5 categories on a death certificate. Homicide, suicide, natural, accident and undetermined. Undetermined is used when the category is unknown or two categories can't be distinguished.)
- Perform investigations at the scene of death
- Identify the dead with a high degree of certainty using scientific forensic methods
- Identify and collect evidence properly
- Provide expert legal testimony in criminal and civil matters
- Recognize unsuspected homicides
- Exonerate the innocent
- Recognize dangerous features of consumer products and report those to federal government
- Treat grieving family members with compassion
- Prepare and plan for mass casualty incidents.
- Ensure the integrity, to the best of our ability, of the personal property of decedents.
- Provide for disposition of unclaimed, indigent citizens, according to state law
- Sign death certificates in all cases of unnatural death, and many cases of natural death