- Law Degree: Gonzaga University, Juris Doctor (J.D.), 1989 (cum laude).
- Undergraduate Degree: Washington State University, B.A. Economics, 1976
- Other Professional: Judicial College, January, 2014; Professional Legal Continuing Education, over 500 hours.
- Private Attorney. 1990- Current (24+ years) [significant business law, family law, and litigation experience]
- Financial Experience. Farm Credit System, 1976-1987 [significant financial and administrative experience].
- Spokane County District Court Judge (full-time) (2013- current).
- Spokane County District Court Judge (pro-tem or substitute) (7+ years).
- Moot Court Student Judging Competitions, Gonzaga University.
Organizations, Awards, and Other
- Washington State Bar Association (licensed in Washington since 1990) (24+ years)
- Idaho State Bar Association (licensed in Idaho since 1990)(24+ years).
- Spokane County Bar Association (important local affiliation).
- District and Municipal Court Judges Association (important professional affiliation).
- Civic Involvement Example: United Way “Loaned Executive”
- Youth Coaching (boys and girls): Little League, SYSA, AAU, School (8+ years).
- Church Involvement: Church School Teacher (8+ years).
- Community Directorships: Little League; Lewis County Mental Health.
- Outside Community Speaking: Toastmasters since 1991 (23+ years).
- Athletic Participation: 1988 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials; Track & Field at W.S.U.
- Selected Awards: Toastmaster International Competitions; “Partner in Justice Award”, Lutheran Community Services, 2014.
- Marriage: 1991 (23+ years).
- Children: son attending Gonzaga University, and daughter attending Whitworth University.
- The Leland Family Extended: Well established extended family in the Spokane area since early 1900s.