Spokane County
1116 W. Broadway Ave
Spokane, WA 99260
Contact Us
Skip Navigation Links
Print this page 
Email this page to a friend 

Risk Management FAQs

The following FAQs are listed by Risk Management.

Can I arrange to meet with the Claims Investigator assigned to my claim?

Most claims are resolved without the necessity of an in person meeting. However, if you want to meet in person with the assigned Claims Investigator, please call first to make an appointment. The Claims Investigators are not available for drop-in visits as they are frequently out in the field.

Do I have to submit a Claim for Damages form to make a claim?

Yes, this requirement is mandatory to start the claim process.

How do I file a claim against Spokane County?

You may obtain a copy of claim forms and instructions from this web site, www.spokanecounty.org/riskmgmt/, or contact Risk Management at 509-477-3617 to have claim forms mailed to you. The claim forms must be completed, signed, and then mailed or delivered to:

Spokane County Risk Management
1033 W. Gardner Avenue
Spokane, WA 99260-0230

How long will the investigation take?

The length of time the investigation takes is dependent upon the type of claim filed. Some claims are fully resolved in several weeks, while the investigation of other claims may take a number of months. All claims are investigated through a process which may include the contact of various departments, witnesses, scene investigations, recorded statements, and document review.

How much time will it take to get a settlement check?

After a claim or settlement has been approved and we are in receipt of the original, properly executed release and W-9 form, it will normally take up to ten working days for the check request to be processed and the check mailed to you.

I filled out a report when I was involved in an incident/accident. Do I still need to file a claim form?

Yes. You must complete a claim form if you feel Spokane County is responsible for your loss, injury, or damages.

I need a rental vehicle because my vehicle is badly damaged, or unsafe to drive. How can I get a rental vehicle?

Prior to a claim being filed and investigated, Spokane County cannot authorize reimbursement for a rental vehicle. If you need to rent a vehicle it is your own decision. Please understand that the Claims Investigator must complete an investigation to determine responsibility prior to any authorization of a rental vehicle. You may consider contacting your own automobile insurance for assistance in the meantime. Should you choose to rent a vehicle prior to authorization, you may be responsible for all or part of that expense.

I was injured on County property, or by a County vehicle, who is going to pay my medical expenses?

You are responsible for all medical care and expenses you incur. If you believe Spokane County is responsible for your injuries you must file a claim, and the circumstances surrounding your injury will be investigated. If a settlement is warranted it may include your medical bills.

If I have damage to my vehicle or property, do I need to submit more than one repair estimate?

Typically, two repair estimates should be submitted for property loss and three estimates should be submitted for vehicle repairs. If you already paid for repairs, please submit the bill and paid receipt.

Should I contact my own insurance company regarding this incident?

At your discretion, you may want to inquire about coverage provided by your own insurance company.

Should I obtain estimates for the damage to my property or automobile?

Yes. Estimates, or receipts, to support your claim may be necessary to establish your loss or damages.

What are the considerations in evaluating a claim?

The considerations in evaluating a claim include the particular facts of the alleged loss, the applicable law, the nature and extent of the damages claimed, whether Spokane County had legal responsibility, and the claimant’s role in the situation.

What recourse do I have if my claim was denied?

You can appeal the decision to the Risk Manager. Consideration will be given if new or additional information is submitted that support your appeal.  Although we can not provide legal advice, you have legal remedies including the right to consult an attorney at law; however, all fees and cost associated with your consult are at your own expense.

When will a Claims Investigator contact me?

A Claims Investigator will generally contact you in writing within two to three business days after the assignment of your claim. This typically occurs within two weeks after a claim is submitted. Your assigned claims investigator will identify the claim number and other documentation needed to investigate your claim.