Building and Sewer Inspections Resume with
Phase 1 Const. Restart
SPOKANE COUNTY, April 20, 2020 – On Friday, April 24, 2020, Governor Jay Inslee announced the Phase 1 Construction Restart COVID-19 Job Site Requirements, an addendum to his earlier “Stay Home-Stay Healthy” Proclamation 20-25. In accordance with this addendum, the County will process applications for building permits that were submitted prior to April 24th.
Once those building permits are issued, the associated construction may proceed. The Spokane County Building & Planning Department will conduct building inspections on job sites that are in compliance with the Phase 1 requirements. For those projects that are eligible for building permits, the Environmental Services Department will issue sewer connection permits and perform sewer inspections. While inspections will resume for current projects, both departments are still limiting public access to their offices. Information on how to schedule an inspection is available on pages 2-3.
The addendum requires contractors to develop and post a comprehensive COVID-19 exposure control, mitigation and recovery plan at job sites. These plans must include policies regarding PPE utilization; on-site social distancing; hygiene; sanitation; symptom monitoring; incident reporting and decontamination procedures.
No job site may operate until the contractor can meet and maintain all applicable requirements, including providing materials, schedules and equipment. Projects currently ongoing must be in compliance no later than Friday, May 1, 2020.
Building and Planning
- Contact information:
- Business hours:
- 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
- 7:30 a.m. to Noon on Friday.
- The Building and Planning Permit Counter is CLOSED to walk-in transactions.
- Permitting staff are available by phone and appointment only to assist with permit requests until further notice. Permitting staff are also available by email.
- Submittals for all permits will be through either electronic format (on the County portal) or can be left in a drop box located outside the north entrance to the Public Works Building at 1026 W. Broadway Avenue. Notification of receipt of acceptance for project review will be sent to the applicant.
- Payments can be made online through the permitting portal or by mail with a check.
- New construction will be inspected as normal with the caveat that the contractor is in compliance with the Phase 1 Job Site Requirements.
- Occupied buildings - the inspector will arrive onsite and either perform a virtual inspection, following County guidelines, or the permit will be placed as an emergency repair and will be re-inspected. Coordination of the final inspection must be initiated by the permit applicant and coordinated with the inspector. Both types of inspections are a partial approval only and will not be final until such time that the inspector can verify installation.
- Some inspections will be conducted virtually through video or photos; in-person inspections will be at the inspector’s discretion and subject to social distancing protocols.
- Technical Review/Pre-Development Meetings
- Technical Review/Pre-Application meetings will be held by telephone conferencing or by phone. Applicants should contact staff by phone for direction on how to submit projects.
- Contact information:
- Business hours:
- 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- The Environmental Services’ Customer Service Counter is CLOSED to walk-in transactions. Please call (509) 477-3604 and leave a message that includes your name, phone number and why you are calling.
- Sewer Connection Permits will be issued for construction projects that are eligible for a building permit.
- Once a Sewer Connection Permit is issued, the permit holder may schedule an inspection. Inspections must be scheduled a minimum of 24 hours in advance. Job sites must be in compliance with the Phase 1 Job Site Requirements.
- A drop box is available for plan submittals and other routine paperwork. It is located outside the north entrance to the Public Works Building at 1026 W. Broadway Avenue.