News Flash

1 Home - News and Updates

Posted on: August 21, 2023

Spokane County Resources for Wildfire Victims

SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. – Today, Spokane County released a list of resources on that will be continually updated for those impacted by wildfires and residents seeking more information.

“As we continue to work alongside our local, state, and federal partners to respond to these devastating wildfires, Spokane County wants to keep the public informed on available resources and assistance. Our priority is keeping you and your families safe. Please continue to follow the evacuation notices, and all emergency communications from public safety agencies. Our webpage will be updated with additional resources and information as it becomes available,” said Mary Kuney, Chair of the Board of Commissioners and representing District 4.

Wildfire Resources


American Red Cross, Greater Inland Northwest Chapter – (509) 326-3330

315 W. Nora Avenue, Spokane

  • Red Cross Shelters:
    1. Spokane Falls Community College – 3410 Whistalks Way, Spokane
    2. Riverside High School – 4120 E. Deer Park Milan Road, Chattaroy  
    3. Everyone who needs to leave your home due to a disaster or emergency is welcome at a Red Cross and all disaster assistance is free.
    4. Services available include but are not limited to:
      • A safe place to sleep.
      • Meals, snacks, and water.
      • Health services such as first aid or refilling lost prescriptions or lost eyeglasses.
      • Other health services.
      • Information about disaster-related resources in the community.
  • For Disaster Relief and Recovery – 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
  • To donate or volunteer:

Spokane County Emergency Management – (509) 477-3046 

  • Fire evacuation maps are available on Spokane EM’s Facebook page: 

Spokane County Sheriff’s Office – EMERGENCY, 911 – Non-Emergency: (509) 477-2240

Spokane County Commissioners – (509) 477-2265

Spokane County Assessor’s Office – (509) 477-3698 

  • Taxpayer’s Claim for Reduction of Assessments resulting from Destroyed Real or Personal Property or loss of Value in a Declared Disaster Area.  

Spokane County Fair and Expo Center – (509) 477-1766

404 N. Havana Street, Spokane Valley

  • For livestock and large animals (no wildlife will be accepted)
  • Go to the Red Gate on Broadway Avenue (eastern end of the Fairgrounds) 
  • Staffed by volunteers from HEART Spokane

Spokane County Fire Districts: EMERGENCY, 911 

Spokane County Regional Animal Protection Service (SCRAPS)

Business: (509) 477-2532, Emergency Phone – (509) 477-2533
6815 E. Trent, Spokane Valley
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: Noon to 7:00 p.m.
Thursday and Sunday – Closed
Saturday – 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
For assistance evacuating animals from an evacuation zone, dial 911 to be connected to SLEET (Spokane County Livestock Emergency Evacuation Team)

Other volunteer opportunities: 

Vitalant Blood Donation-Spokane – (877) 258-4825

To donate blood

City of Spokane Safe Air Centers

Air Quality Information

City of Cheney Alerts


Washington State Legislature – (Locate your State Legislator for assistance with state agencies)

Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) / Wildland Fire Management Division – (360) 902-1300

WA State Transportation Real-Time Travel Map

Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner – (800) 562-6900 

For consumers with questions or concerns about insurance coverage


InciWeb - Federal Fire Tracking Website

U.S. Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers – (509) 353-2374 

U.S. Senator Patty Murray – (509) 624-9515

U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell - (509) 353-2507

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) – (800) 621-3362 

Federal Housing and Urban Development – (800) 304-9320  

Small Business Administration – (800) 659-2955

United States Department of Agriculture 

USDA Farm Service Agency – Commercial Agricultural Producers ONLY!

Spokane County                                             Whitman County

Ryan Leners, Exec. Director                      Jonelle Olson, Exec. Director

(509) 924-7350 ext. 2                                   (509) 397-4301 ext. 2


  • FSA offers several assistance programs to qualified agricultural producers who have losses due to wildfire:
    1. Emergency Assistance to Livestock, Honeybees and Farm Raised Fish (ELAP).  This program covers additional feed purchases, water hauling, and additional grazing.  This is for replacement items.  It also allows for the assistance to go both directions.  Take the feed and water to the animal or take the animal to new feed and water locations. 
    2. Livestock Forage Program (LFP).  This program covers grazing losses.  This is for immediate items. This program does not need to be a part of the disaster, wildfire or any declaration.
    3. Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP).  This program covers livestock losses in excess of normal mortality.  This program does not need to be a part of the disaster, wildfire or any declaration.
  • Items available but require national approval for funding:
    1. Emergency Conservation Program (ECP).  This covers items such as lost fencing.
    2. Emergency Haying and Grazing of CRP.  This would be allowed once the county reaches a D2 drought designation, or if the county has at least a 40% loss in forage production from a qualifying event, such as wildfire.  



Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in 1 Home - News and Updates