News Flash Home
The original item was published from 8/13/2020 4:51:21 PM to 8/28/2020 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash

Sheriff's Office

Posted on: August 13, 2020

[ARCHIVED] Deputies Deescalate Irate Suspect Armed with 2 Knives


Deputies Deescalate Irate Suspect Armed with 2 Knives  

Spokane County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to a call reporting a male armed with a knife, cutting himself.  The caller stated the male’s arms were dripping blood, and he threatened to “kill the cops” and threatened to stab other people.  Deputies defused the situation and got the male to drop the two knives he was holding.  He continued to resist efforts to detain him and medical aid.  His wounds required stitches before he was eventually booked for two counts of Assault 2nd Degree.    

On August 9, 2020, at approximately 11:00 a.m., Spokane County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the report of a male, armed with a knife, who was irate and cutting himself in front of a residence near N. Country Homes Blvd. and N. Wall Street. 

The caller stated the male, identified as 25-year-old Gabriel A. Biagas, was on the front porch and continued to cut his already bloody arms.  Biagas, who the caller dated for a short time, continued to yell, stating he will kill the cops, and he began threatening others at the location who were trying to help.  It was reported Biagas was armed with a large butcher knife in one hand and a smaller knife in the other.

Deputy Dutton was the first to arrive at the scene.  He found Biagas standing in a parking lot across from the initially reported address.  Biagas’ arms were bleeding, and he was extremely animated, telling Deputy Dutton several times, “Bro, just kill me.”.  Deputy Dutton tried to engage Biagas in conversation to build rapport and deescalate this very dangerous and volatile situation, but Biagas remained irrational. 

Keeping a safe distance, Deputy Dutton continued to try and reason with Biagas and get him to drop the knives while additional Deputies responded to assist.

Biagas continued to tell Deputy Dutton to shoot him as he continued to lightly cut his arms saying, he just wanted his property from the residence.

After Deputy Maier arrived, Deputy Dutton finally convinced Biagas to drop the knives.  As he spoke with Biagas and provided cover, Deputy Maier recovered the knives as Deputy Moffett arrived. 

The Deputies continued to try and keep Biagas calm and told him they planned to detain him and provide medical attention for his wounds.  Biagas remained defiant, telling Deputies not to touch him and that he would not comply.  He continued to resist as the Deputies tried to control his arms, and he was taken to the ground to gain control. 

Medical personnel were called in to provide aid, but Biagas continued to resist.  He was retrained with soft restraints to the gurney for his safety and transported to the hospital. 

The two victims stated Biagas arrived shortly before the violence began to retrieve some of his property.  He was acting erratic and forced his way into the residence and eventually into the kitchen, arming himself with the knives.  As the victims tried to keep Biagas calm, he began slashing at them with the knives, but neither were injured.              

A few hours later, at the hospital, Deputy Dutton advised Biagas he was being charged for Burglary 1st Degree and two counts of Assault 2nd Degree, and he had the right to an attorney and remain silent.  Biagas denied the charges and said he didn’t remember anything.  After he asked again what his charges were, Biagas argued he had stayed at the residence overnight, denying that he forced his way into the home.  He insisted he helped the victims move in and had been living at the residence.  He provided witness information of a person that would confirm he was at the home the night before. 

Biagas was transported and booked into the Spokane County Jail for Burglary 1st Degree and two counts of Assault 2nd Degree (DV).

With the conflicting information regarding Biagas’ arrival, Deputy Dutton contacted the victims.  They told the same version of the events stating Biagas arrived shortly before the incident began.  Deputy Dutton contacted the witness provided by Biagas and was told Biagas was telling the truth.  He said Biagas didn’t just show up; he observed Biagas at the residence the night before and in the morning. 

Due to this additional information from an uninvolved witness, Deputy Dutton amended the charging affidavit, dropping the Burglary charge.


Facebook Twitter Email