Spokane Sheriff’s Office to Hire Mielke to Lead Administrative Functions
Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich announced today that Todd Mielke will be joining the Sheriff’s Office as the Chief Administrative Officer.
“I’ve been working to reorganize the department to focus my commissioned officers on protecting citizens and providing public safety, not managing administrative functions,” said Knezovich. “I wanted someone with a specific administrative background to lead the business side of the organization.”
Knezovich stated, “Todd is a dynamic individual who has served as a change agent throughout his career, with exceptional leadership abilities in public, business and community organizations. He has extensive experience in strategic planning, building collaborative partnerships with diverse stakeholders, and navigating through complex organizational challenges.”
“He brings a unique background that will serve us well. With more than 11 years serving as a county commissioner, he knows the county well – he understands the role of counties and the Sheriff’s office, was deeply involved in crafting budgets and resolving personnel matters, led efforts to revitalize Crime Check, and was involved in the criminal justice reform efforts. More recently, he led transformational changes as the CEO of Greater Spokane Inc. He knows the community well and comes to the agency with an MBA and backgrounds in finance and operations management.”
In the role of Chief Administrative Officer for the Sheriff’s Office, Mielke will be responsible for the overall direction and oversight of the administrative, financial, risk management, and government affairs services for the entire Sheriff’s Office. Additionally, he will be involved with special projects and initiatives for the department.
“This Sheriff has been one of the most visible officials in the region. I look forward to supporting his efforts for continuous improvement and providing citizens with one of the best law enforcement agencies in the northwest,” stated Mielke.
Mielke’s first day will be December 30th.
# # #
Todd Mielke Background
- Lifelong resident of Spokane
- MBA, University of Washington Foster School of Business, 2015
- BA – Business Administration (dual degree in Finance, Operations Management)
- Washington State Senate staffer
- Washington State Representative (5th & 6th legislative districts)
- Spokane County Commissioner (2004-2016)
- Involved in creation of county budgets
- Led efforts for voter approval of re-creation of Crime Check and emergency communication system funding
- Involved in negotiating labor contracts & personnel actions
- Involved in risk management processes and reviews
- Lead commissioner on criminal justice reform task force
- Co-chair of Legislative Committee for the Washington State Association of Counties
- President, Washington State Association of Counties
- CEO, Greater Spokane Inc.
- Hired as a change agent
- Lobbied the U.S. Air Force to make Fairchild the largest tanker base in the world
- Re-wrote its strategic plan to focus its core mission on being a regional business development organization
- Launched a brand update emphasizing its mission to be a regional collaborator with other stakeholders under the banner of “Together We’re Greater”
- Negotiated a 10-year lease renewal that re-names the building the “GSI Building”
- Developed a common economic development services agreement with most municipalities and GSI
- Developed a new regional business development collaboration with all regional stakeholders – the ADO Roundtable to jointly coordinate economic development opportunities
- Launched a renewed regional economic development website (ADVANTAGE Spokane)
- Coordinated the drafting of legislation to pursue sustainable funding for economic development
- Raised $1.5M to pursue strategic initiatives tied to business development
- Repeatedly named one of the “50 Most Influential Leaders of Spokane” by Spokane Coeur d’Alene Magazine (2012-2019)