We wanted to share this video of today’s “Q & A” with local reporters regarding Washington’s I-1639 Gun Control Law. We have received several questions from citizens and requests for interviews from local media outlets so Sheriff Knezovich wanted to make sure all the information is available to everyone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QehLtfKSpU&t=106s
You can also read the Spokesman-Review article where Sheriff Knezovich also addresses this topic.
Spokesman-Review: “Knezovich refuses to join ‘grandstanding’ sheriffs in opposition to new gun laws” http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/jan/31/knezovich-refuses-to-join-grandstanding-sheriffs-i/
Also, here is a response Sheriff Knezovich sent to a person asking the same questions regarding I-1639:
1. I fought against 1639
2. I spoke against 1639
3. I have done multiple radio shows denouncing 1639
4. The people of the state of Washington passed 1639
5. 1639 is unconstitutional at the State and Federal level
6. 1639 is being challenged in court
7. I have offered to join that lawsuit
8. The attorneys aren’t sure how to add me in the lawsuit since Sheriff’s have no skin in this one.
9. These other Sheriffs are purely grandstanding when they say they won’t enforce 1639 because there is nothing for us to enforce
With this said, what is it you would like me to do? As Sheriff there is nothing, at this time, for me to enforce as it pertains to 1639. The day there is I’ll evaluate it and if it is against the Constitutions of the State of Washington or that of the United States I will stand against it.
As it is now, 1639 is not constitutional, is being challenged in court and there is nothing for me to enforce.
Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich