News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/7/2018 4:06:36 PM to 9/22/2018 12:10:05 AM.

News Flash

Sheriff's Office

Posted on: September 7, 2018

[ARCHIVED] No Criminal Charges in March 2018 Police Shooting



No Criminal Charges in March 2018 Police Shooting 


SPOKANE COUNTY, September 7, 2018 – The Spokane County Prosecutor’s Office has determined that Spokane County Deputy Sheriff Sam Palmer and Spokane Police Officer Scott Hice were justified in their use of lethal force against Ronald J. Acre while attempting to serve him with a civil eviction notice at the Agnes Kehoe Place Apartments at 5313 N. Regal St., Apt #103, on March 12, 2018, at approximately 10:30 AM.

Deputy Palmer had been assigned to serve a civil eviction notice on Ronald Acre. Shortly before 10:30 AM on March 12, 2018, Deputy Palmer arrived at the complex. Palmer is highly experienced in the eviction process, as he serves several such notices on a daily basis. Once Palmer arrives at a residence/apartment and is in possession of a court order for eviction, a tenant has no legal rights to the property and it must be restored to the owner.

Upon arriving at the apartment complex, Palmer spoke to the manager and gathered information on Acre. There was concern because Acre had made prior threats to other tenants. Palmer was advised that Acre had indicated that if he was cornered, Acre would do what he had to do. Back-up officers from Spokane Police had been called, as well as a mental health professional.


After officers conferred in the hallway, Palmer knocked several times on Acre’s apartment door. Palmer announced that it was the Sheriff’s office and asked for Ronald to come to the door. There was no response from inside. Palmer could clearly see the eviction notices that he had posted on the door previously. Palmer eventually used a key provided by management to open the door and enter the apartment. Once the door was opened, officers could see Acre seated on a couch on the far side of the room. Another couch had been propped up on its end and blocked a portion of the officers’ view of Acre on the left side. Initially, Acre did not answer or move. He simply stared at them. Officers slowly entered the apartment and attempted to engage Acre in conversation about why they were there and what would be required of him. When Acre did speak, he told officers that they had to go, that they should contact their supervisors and also to contact the federal government.

Officers decided they were going to have to go “hands on” with Acre. At about that time, Acre placed his left hand, and then his right hand, under a blanket that was laying on the couch to Acre’s immediate left. He retrieved a rifle from under the blanket. Officers immediately retreated from the apartment and ordered Acre to put the rifle down and to show officers his hands. Acre did not comply. Deputy Palmer and Officer Hice fired their service weapons several times at Acre before he eventually let go of the rifle and showed officers his hands. Once officer safety was assured, officers entered the apartment, retrieved the rifle, and rendered aid to Acre pending arrival of medics. Acre was transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center, where he was successfully treated for gunshot wounds.

The investigation revealed that the rifle was a fully functional Mossberg 30.06 bolt action rifle that was loaded with four rounds. Each round had writing on it including a black-tipped armor-piercing round that bore the writing, “Mick Cop”. Additional boxes of 30.06 ammunition were also found in the apartment.

Under these circumstances, it was reasonable for Deputy Palmer and Officer Hice to use deadly force. There is no indication Deputy Palmer or Officer Hice acted out of malice or lacked a good faith belief in the correctness of their actions. Therefore, no criminal liability attaches and no criminal charges will be filed against Deputy Palmer or Officer Hice.