News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/9/2018 2:07:39 PM to 7/24/2018 12:05:00 AM.

News Flash

Sheriff's Office

Posted on: July 9, 2018

[ARCHIVED] Wanted Fleeing Driver Continues to Remain Uncooperative


Wanted Fleeing Driver Continues to Remain Uncooperative  

A driver with a felony warrant fled from a Spokane County Sheriff’s Office Deputy late Friday night.  Due to safety concerns, the pursuit was quickly terminated but the suspect continued to drive recklessly and crashed soon after.  The suspect was captured with the assistance of the Washington State Patrol and the Airway Heights Police Department. 

On July 6, 2018, at approximately 11:45 p.m., Spokane County Sheriff’s Deputy Ryan Nelson-Felvarg observed a beige Honda Accord traveling north on Hayford Rd. near 6th Ave.  As he began to check the vehicle’s license plate on his mobile computer, the driver, later identified as 28-year-old Derick B. Shropshire, suddenly moved into the turn lane and went west on 6th Ave. while Deputy Nelson-Felvarg continued north.

When the return of the license plate appeared on Deputy Nelson-Felvarg’s computer, it showed as registered to a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer.  Believing the Honda was possibly stolen, Deputy Nelson-Felvarg quickly turned around to find it.  Deputy Nelson-Felvarg located the Honda parked on the side of the road just west of Hayford.  After confirming he had entered the license plate correctly, Deputy Nelson-Felvarg activated his emergency lights and pulled up to the vehicle.  Shropshire turned and looked directly at the patrol vehicle, quickly made a U-turn and fled at a high rate of speed.  Deputy Nelson-Felvarg activated his siren and advised dispatch he was in pursuit of the fleeing vehicle. 

Shropshire turned south on Hayford, ran the red light at Hwy. 2 and continued southbound at a high rate of speed.  Due to the recklessness of Shropshire’s actions, the pursuit was terminated and Deputy Nelson-Felvarg pulled over, turning his emergency lights and siren off.  

Deputy Alex Velikodnyy, who had stopped near Hayford and Geiger when the pursuit was terminated, observed the Honda traveling his direction, still at a high rate of speed.  Shropshire did not slow down as he approached the T-intersection.  He failed to stop at the stop sign, continued into the RV Park and crashed into some tall bushes/trees next to a building.  Shropshire then fled on foot.   

Additional Deputies, WSP Troopers and Airway Heights Police (AHPD) Officers arrived in the area, set up a perimeter and began issuing K9 announcements.  Deputy Jason Hunt and his partner K9 Gunner arrived and began a track to locate Shropshire. 

A witness at the Mobile Gas Station informed Deputy Christopher Nogle, he observed a male matching Shropshire’s description running southeast across the bridge over I-90, toward the Petro Gas Station.  Soon after, an AHPD Officer and WSP Trooper advised they had detained a suspect (Shropshire) at the Petro Station. 

Deputy Nelson-Felvarg arrived and advised Shropshire of his rights.  Shropshire, who was still breathing heavily and sweating, denied running from or driving the Honda.  A check of Shropshire’s name revealed an active felony warrant (Theft 1st Degree) for his arrest.  After being advised he was under arrest, Shropshire stated he was having trouble breathing.  Medics were called to evaluate Shropshire who was later transported to a hospital for further treatment.

Multiple knives and used syringes were located in Shropshire’s pockets during a search. 

At the hospital, AMR staff advised Deputy Nelson-Felvarg, Shropshire showed signs of a possible overdose (Heroin and Methamphetamine) during the transport.  Shropshire, who was secured in soft restrains, was yelling and cussing at the medical staff demanding to be released.  As Shropshire continued to thrash around and yell, he spit blood on Deputy Nelson-Felvarg and hospital staff, adding to his charges.

Once medically cleared, Shropshire was transported and booked into the Spokane County Jail for Attempting to Elude a Police Vehicle, Assault 3rd Degree (2 counts), Assault 4th Degree and the felony warrant. 

The VIN number on the Honda showed it had not been reported stolen at the time of the incident.  Attempts to contact the registered owner were unsuccessful. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Sheriff's Office