Tax Relief & Exemptions

If you are a senior citizen and/or disabled, you may be eligible for an exemption. The exemption applies to the primary residence and land on which it sits, up to one acre. Five acres are allowed if zoning permits it.

This program is administered by the Spokane County Assessor's Office. For application and further information, call 509-477-3698.

Senior Exemption

The eligibility requirements for a senior citizen are:

  • Taxpayer must be at least 61 years of age and own the house they live in
  • The combined family income must be $40,000 or less

Disability Exemption

For a disability exemption, the taxpayer must be unable to work due to physical disability. A physician's statement must be included with the application as proof of disability.

If you are having difficulty paying your taxes, you may qualify for a Deferral Program through the Washington State Department of Revenue. If approved, the property tax is paid by the Department of Revenue and a lien is placed on the property. The tax lien must be repaid at such time the property is sold or upon the death of the property owner. More information about this program can be found at Spokane County Assessor's Office website or by calling 509-477-5754.