Compliance With Prison Rape Elimination Act
In compliance with Section 115.322 of the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) Standards, Spokane County Juvenile Court Services (SCJCS) has provided policies to ensure referrals of allegations for investigation:
- PREA Internal Investigation Policy (PDF)
- PREA Summary Statement (PDF)
- Sexual Abuse and Harassment ZERO TOLERANCE Policy
- Recruitment and Selection of Employees Policy
If you suspect sexual abuse has happened at the Spokane County Juvenile Detention Center, you may call the Detention Manager at the center, at 509-477-2471, or you may call the Spokane County Prosecuting Attorney or the Spokane Police Department. Please have any information or evidence available for the investigator who will be assigned to handle the case. False accusations may be prosecuted. All reports are to be taken seriously and investigated as outlined in PREA.
Data Review for Corrective Action & Publication
In compliance with Section 115.388 of the PREA Standards, SCJCS has reviewed data collected and aggregated pursuant to section 115.387 in order to access and improve the effectiveness of its sexual abuse prevention, detection, and response policies, practices, and training including:
- Identifying problem areas
- Taking corrective action on an ongoing basis
- Preparing an annual report of its findings and corrective actions
Also, in compliance with Section 115.389 of the PREA Standards, SCJCS shall make all aggregated sexual abuse data readily available to the public at least annually.
- 2017 - 2019 Report based on the Annual Survey of Sexual Violence for Spokane County Juvenile Detention.
- 2010 - 2016 Report based on the Annual Survey of Sexual Violence for Spokane County Juvenile Detention.
SCJCS Detention Center has been audited pursuant to Section 115.401 of the PREA’s Standards. View our PREA Audit Findings (PDF).
Pre and Post Audit Experience Narrative
If you are interested in reading a summary of the experience of our audit, please click here. (document below) You can also contact Tori Peterson, the Juvenile Court Administrator, Jennie Marshall, the Detention Manager, or Tony Johnson, the PREA Coordinator. View our Pre and Post Audit PREA Report Narrative (PDF).
View the following resources for more information on the PREA effort in Spokane County:
- PREA Juvenile Standards (PDF)
- PREA Youth Safety Brochure (PDF)
- PREA Youth Safety Brochure - Staff (PDF)
- PREA Youth Safety Brochure - Volunteers (PDF)