Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement Responsibilities
We are all part of a larger community. The activities we pursue may affect others. Our actions can enhance or degrade the property and lives of our neighbors. Often violations of development and other county regulations are simply a matter of not knowing the rules. A polite and neighborly "heads up" to uninformed property owner many times will end a problem. When it doesn't , it may be necessary to file a formal written complaint with the proper government agency of jurisdiction. Discovering who is responsible to investigate a specific question or issue may take some effort. The following information is intended to help in that effort.

The Department of Building and Planning encompasses a broad range of responsibilities. Although not always immediately obvious, the common threads that tie our enforcement activities together are the construction, use, occupancy and maintenance of buildings and structures, the use of land, protection of critical areas and grading activity on private properties within the unincorporated areas of Spokane County.

Common Issues We Provide Assistance For
  • Abandoned/junk vehicles on private property
  • Alterations and Additions
  • Changing the use of existing buildings
  • Code violations: mechanical, plumbing, fire, building, energy codes
  • Construction
  • Construction of private roads and driveways
  • Cutting and filling of a site
  • Dangerous, vacant or abandoned buildings
  • Demolition
  • Dependent relative quarters
  • Excessive noise levels in industrial zones
  • Failure to construct a permitted project in accordance with approved plans
  • Failure to maintain landscaping or stormwater containment features required as part of a building permit
  • Fence placements within front yards
  • Fences over 6 feet
  • Fire Sprinklers/Alarms
  • Grading
  • Home Occupations
  • Illegal signs (too large, too many, improper location)
  • Incorrect or missing property addressing
  • Intrusive outdoor lighting
  • Land Use violations
  • Mechanical (Heating/AC)
  • Mobile Home Replacement
  • Plumbing
  • Re-roofing/siding/window replacement
  • Shoreline and Critical Area Violations
  • Signs
  • Site clean-up after fire or demolition
Other Agencies Handling Complaints
Many complaints we receive are actually handled by other agencies. A summary of common complaint topics and agencies that may be able to answer questions or conduct investigations can be found on in our Code Enforcement Guide.