Honorable Richard Leland
District Court Judge, Department 8, Courtroom 3
- Current Assignment: Misdemeanors P - Z
- First Appointed: 2013
- Judicial Assistant: Viktoria Lyfar, 509-477-2929
- Judicial Secretary: 509-477-2901
- Law Degree: Gonzaga University, Juris Doctor (J.D.), 1989 (cum laude)
- Undergraduate Degree: Washington State University, B.A. Economics, 1976
- Other Professional: Judicial College, January, 2014: Professional Legal Continuing Education, over 500 hours.
- Financial Experience: Farm Credit System, 1976 - 1987 (significant financial and administrative experience)
- Private Attorney: 1990 - Current (24+ years, significant business law, family law, and litigation experience)
- Moot Court Student Judging Competitions, Gonzaga University
- Spokane County District Court Judge (full-time): 2013 - Present
- Spokane County District Court Judge (pro-tem or substitute): 7+ Years
- District and Municipal Court Judges Association
- Idaho State Bar Association: 24+ years, licensed in Idaho since 1990
- Spokane County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association: 24+ years, licensed in Washington since 1990
Organizations, Awards & Other
- Athletic Participation: 1988 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials / Track and Field at W.S.U.
- Church School Teacher: 8+ years
- Civic Involvement Example: United Way “Loaned Executive”
- Community Directorships: Little League / Lewis County Mental Health
- Outside Community Speaking: Toastmasters since 1991
- Selected Awards: Toastmaster International Competitions, “Partner in Justice Award”, Lutheran Community Services, 2014
- Youth Coaching Little League, SYSA, AAU, School: 8+ years
- Children: Son attending Gonzaga University, and daughter attending Whitworth University.
- Leland Family Extended: Well-established extended family in the Spokane area since early 1900s
- Marriage: 1991 (23+ years)
Judge Leland Reaching Out to You
- Complaints, concerns, feedback (positive or negative)?
- Do you have a good idea or suggestion that may assist in improving the District Court process?
- Is there anything else you would like to share with Judge Leland?
- Would you like Judge Leland to speak to your civic or community group?
- Would you like Judge Leland to speak to your local school or a child’s classroom?
- Would you like to participate in an advisory type meeting to assist Judge Leland?
- Would you like to receive the District Court newsletter or other informative correspondence?
- Would you like to sit in on a District Court proceeding to observe how the Court operates?
- Would you, your children, or others like Judge Leland to coordinate a tour of District Court?