Marriage in Custody

It is the Policy of Spokane County Detention Services that inmates may be married while incarcerated if the following conditions are met:
  1. The inmate requesting to get married is required to fill out an Inmate Marriage Request Form and submit it to the Marriage Coordinator at Spokane County Detention Services.
  2. The date of marriage request must be at least two weeks from the date your request was submitted.
  3. The Marriage Coordinator will then notify the agency(s) responsible for the inmates incarceration. Those agencies will have two weeks to file the necessary court paperwork and submit it to the Marriage Coordinator if they are denying the request. You will be notified if this should occur.
The following conditions must also apply:
  • An inmate cannot marry another incarcerated inmate.
  • Both the inmate and the intended spouse must be eligible to marry in the State of Washington.
  • Outside officiates (clergy or magistrate):
    • Must be qualified under RCW 26.04 to perform marriages within the State of Washington
    • Must not have a felony within the last 10 years
    • Clergy must submit his/her ordination certificate or license
    • Members of the judiciary from outside Spokane County who perform civil ceremonies must submit their letter of appointment or oath of office.
  • The inmate and intended spouse are responsible for any associated costs for the marriage ceremony.
  • The intended spouse, all witnesses, and the official performing the ceremony must meet all visiting criteria of Spokane County Detention Services.
  • Inmates are not allowed to get married, while on disciplinary or watch status.
  • Inmates being held for other counties, states or for DOC are prohibited from getting married.

More Information
For more information, please view our Marriage in Custody FAQ. The Spokane County Auditor also has a wedding hot-line (license, fees, etc.) that can be reached at 509-477-2271.