Geiger Boulevard Infrastructure Improvements
Current Status Update
Spokane County Public Works opened bids for the Geiger Boulevard - Hayford Road to Soda Road Project on June 26th, 2019. Shamrock Paving Inc. was the low bidder and has been awarded the contract. Work is anticipated to begin the end of July / early August and continue through November 2019.
Geiger Boulevard is an important corridor within the Spokane Region transportation network and has become the attraction for new large employers and economic generators within Spokane County. Lands bordering Geiger Boulevard are mainly zoned for commercial and industrial development, and in recent years there have been several applications to develop these lands. Of these applications, Project Rose is significant. Project Rose is a 2.6 million square - foot, Amazon - like warehouse and distribution center that is estimated to bring 2,963 new jobs to the area. Project Rose is also expected to substantially increase the number of vehicles, especially heavy trucks, along Geiger Boulevard and connecting I-90 facilities. Spokane County requested $14.3 million to upgrade Geiger Boulevard. When complete, infrastructure improvements along Geiger Boulevard will deliver long-lasting connectivity to Spokane County and the City of Spokane’s developing industrial lands, and will support further economic activity and development in the region. A robust benefit cost analysis has been completed and shows that for every dollar of investment in Geiger Boulevard improvements, the project yields a benefit of over $60.3 million.
Improvements along Geiger Boulevard and connecting facilities include:
• The upgrade of Geiger Boulevard from a two-lane bituminous surface road (chip-sealed) to a three-lane asphalt roadway with a center left-turn lane and a separated 10’ shared-used pathway
• The signalization of the Hayford Road & Geiger Boulevard intersection
• The upgrade of ramp terminals at both the Medical Lake and Grove Road Interchanges, from stop-controlled intersections to roundabouts
• The installation of a new parallel bridge across I-90 at the Medical Lake Interchange to provide additional vehicle travel lanes as well as a shared-use pathway
• The installation and design considerations for bus stops at major intersections and trip generators along Geiger Boulevard (i.e. Project Rose)
• The installation of water, sewer, and fiber utilities along the length of the corridor that services current and future industrial and commercial developments