Spokane County WA Homepage

Marriage Information

Wedding CoupleApplication Instructions

  • Please download and type information on the Marriage Application before printingEach spouse completes a separate application form. 
  • When possible, please TYPE in the information on both pages except for the signature and notary information. For accuracy, print the form after filling in the highlighted fields. The Fillable PDF can be edited on any desktop computer, not mobile devices.
  • Each spouse signs their application in front of a notary public – many banks and credit unions provide notary services.
  • Mail the two forms together with a single payment of $62 to:
    • Spokane County Auditor – Marriage
    • PO Box 2353
      Spokane, WA 99210
  • Payment of $62 by check, cashier’s check or money order, made payable to the Spokane County Auditor. We cannot accept payment over the phone or by electronic transfer. ($59 if either applicant is active military)
  • If there are any problems, we will call you. If the form and payment are complete, we will mail you the marriage license packet.

Recording & Marriage License Office

*Please arrive in our office no later than 30 minutes prior to closing to allow sufficient time to process your application. 
  • Monday through Friday - 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
  • 509-477-2271


The application fee is $59. A certified copy fee is $3. The total is $62, cash, check or credit/debit card. There is a processing fee for debit/credit cards.

Waiting Period & Ceremony

The marriage license will be given to the parties upon application. The ceremony must occur in the State of Washington and be performed between 3 and 63 days of application. The 3 day waiting period cannot be waived. The person performing the ceremony must be a judge, a retired judge, or an ordained minister or similar official of any religious organization. 

You may contact a judge from the following list:

Application Requirements

  • Age: The legal age for both parties is 18 years old. If the applicant(s) are 17 years old they must each be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to sign the  parental/guardianship consent form. The parent must have the authority to consent to marriage. Legal guardians must provide an original or a certified copy of the legal guardianship documents.
  • Spouse/Partner: Applicants cannot have a current living spouse or registered domestic partner, unless the partner is the other party to this marriage.
  • Miscellaneous: Witnesses or blood tests are not required to obtain a marriage license in the State of Washington.

Certified Copies

To obtain a certified copy of a marriage certificate by mail, you will need to send a check payable to the Spokane County Auditor along with the names of each party at the time of application and the date of the marriage. A certified copy of the marriage certificate is $3. Our marriage records can also be accessed at the Washington State Digital Archives or in our office.

Performing Marriage Ceremony

Who can Perform the Marriage Ceremony: Washington State Law (RCW 26.04.050) specifies who can solemnize or officiate marriages, primarily justices, justices and commissioners of the courts and officials of religious organizations. A ship captain, unless meeting the qualifications above, is not authorized to perform marriages. Further, neither the couple nor the two witnesses may officiate the wedding ceremony.

An official of a religious organization is broadly defined in the law. The individual can be a regularly licensed or ordained minister or any priest, imam, rabbi or similar official of any religious organization of any state. Beyond providing this definition, Washington State does not issue or verify the license or qualifications of clergy to perform marriages.

Officiant Responsibilities: In performing the marriage ceremony, the officiant accepts numerous responsibilities laid out in Washington State statute. The officiant is responsible to:

  • Complete their information on the marriage certificate
  • Ensure that the couple and two witnesses sign and date the marriage certificate
  • Return the marriage certificate to the appropriate county office within 30 days of the ceremony, or face a possible misdemeanor and fine up to $300

  1. Spokane County WA Homepage

Contact Us

  1. Spokane County

  2. 1116 W Broadway Avenue

  3. Spokane, WA 99260

  4. Contact Us

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow