Any person meeting the requirements of the classification may apply, when the position is open for application, without regard for race, creed, color, sex, national origin, or disability unless in accordance with a bona fide occupational qualification. Handicapped people who can meet the physical requirements of the classification will be considered on an individual basis.
This is a list of qualifications for entrance examination for employment in the Spokane County Sheriff's Office.
• Must be a citizen of the United States of America or a lawful permanent resident who can read and write the English language.
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Must provide sealed official transcripts from the school of your highest level of education.
• Veteran's preference granted in accordance with Washington State Law RCW 41.04.010. A copy of DD214 Member form 4 is required for veteran’s preference to be applied.
• An individual may qualify to take the entrance examination for a classification which has a minimum age of 21 providing the individual will pass the minimum age birth date during the life of the eligible list established by that examination. A successful candidate will have delayed eligibility until the required minimum age is attained.
• Must meet physical requirements of the Spokane County Civil Service Commission established and verified by the Sheriff's Office as job related.
• A high rate of traffic violations and/or accidents or failure to pass the Washington State examination for driver's license may disqualify.
• A criminal conviction may disqualify applicant.
• Falsification of application will disqualify applicant.
• Applicant must qualify through background review and will be required to complete a polygraph screening covering background and character. Must qualify on medical examination prior to appointment. Some positions require psychological evaluations.
Tests are given to establish eligible lists for each job classification. Consideration for hiring will be in order of grade standing on the eligible list as positions become available or need arises. No applicant will be given final certification for appointment until the candidate has satisfactorily qualified on the pre-employment background interview, oral boards, polygraph screening, medical examination and/or psychological evaluation.