Spokane County WA Clerk Homepage

Name Changes


A name change should be filed in Superior Court if any of the below apply.

  • You are an emancipated minor.
  • You have received asylum, refugee, or special immigrant juvenile status.
  • You wish to have the name change sealed due to domestic violence, stalking, unlawful harassment, coercive control, gender expression or identity.
  • The person wanting their name changed is a minor named in a proceeding under Title 13 or 74.
  • If there is a parenting plan already filed in Superior Court.

Forms can be printed or downloaded on the Superior Court website. Family Court Forms | Spokane County, WA

Birth Certificate Change

Once the name change has been approved, if you wish to change the birth certificate (and the person was born in Washington State) you will need to send certified copies of all completed paperwork to the Department of Health. There is a fee for each new certificate plus you will need to enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return. Please contact the Department of Health for current fees.

Department of Health Center for Health Statistics

1112 SE Quince Street

P.O. Box 9709

Olympia WA 98507-9709

Phone: 360-236-4313

  1. Spokane County WA Homepage

Contact Us

  1. County Clerk
    County Courthouse
    1116 W Broadway Avenue, 3rd Floor
    Spokane, WA  99260
    Contact Us

Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow