Exploring is a carefully constructed experience designed to meet the unique needs and interests of young people. Learn more on the Explorer's website.
Our mission is to provide experiences to help young people mature at this stage in their lives and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults. As they approach adulthood, they are ready to explore the meaning of interdependence - in their relationships with Explorers, Advisors, and their community.
Exploring is based on a unique and dynamic relationship between community organizations and the youth in that community. Local community organizations initiate specific Explorer posts, and they do this by matching the people and the program resources within their organizations to the interests of young people in the surrounding community. The result is a program of activities that helps the youth pursue their special interests and grow and develop.
An Explorer program has four specific goals. Explorers should:
- Gain practical experience in the career interest of the post.
- Engage in a program of activities centered on the five emphasis areas (career opportunities, life skills, service learning, character education, and leadership experience) to encourage the development of the whole person.
- Experience positive leadership from adult and youth leaders and be given opportunities to take on leadership roles.
- Have a chance to learn and grow in a supportive, caring, and fun environment.
The Spirit of Exploring
Explorers inquire, wonder, imagine, dream - risk. They learn to respect and appreciate what it takes to be willing to discover, and what it takes to commit to a journey into the unknown. Explorers take on the challenge of change - within themselves, and within those around them.
The Explorer motto (Our best today for a better tomorrow) is not just words, for if we seek the best in all things, and seek adventure on the frontiers of our changing world, we will see the interconnection and value of all people and things more clearly.
Our Explorers may:
- Help with searches for evidence
- Pick up found bikes
- Pick up - cold - property
- Assist in security - cars, parking lots
- Conduct household inventory - serial numbers, etc.