Family Court Facilitator

Contacting the Family Court Facilitator

About the Family Law Program

The Family Court Facilitator program was established in Spokane County to provide assistance to citizens who choose to or who cannot afford an attorney to represent them in matters dealing with divorce (dissolution), custody, child support, and paternity custody matters. Because of a reduction in free legal service programs, more than half of the cases filed have a pro se (self-represented) litigant involved. The Family Court Facilitator is a non-attorney who provides information to individuals who represent themselves in Superior Court in family law/domestic relations matters.

Family Law / Domestic Relations Matters

Family law / domestic relations matters may include:
  • Dissolution/Legal Separation/Invalidity of a Marriage
  • Modification of Custody/Parenting Plan
  • Modification of Child Support Order
  • Establishment of Parentage (Paternity)
  • Contempt of a Court Order
  • Minor Guardianships

What Can Be Provided

Information the Family Court Facilitator may provide:
  • What mandatory forms are available and how to acquire them.
  • Which forms to complete to begin and to finalize a legal action.
  • Review of completed forms for procedural correctness (necessary blanks filled in and signed where required).
  • Explain local procedures for setting motions and other hearings on the court calendars.
  • Informational brochures and instruction sheets relating to domestic relation matters.
  • Information regarding referrals to mediation, legal, social service and governmental agencies.

Facilitator Review

If you are working on a Residential Schedule Action and want the Family Court Facilitator to review your documents, you must have proof of paternity in the court file or with you to sign in. That would include the original copy of Paternity Affidavit or birth certificate or certified copy of the same.