Superior Court is Accepting Applications for UGA Court Appointed Attorneys
The recent enactment of the Uniform Guardianship Act (UGA), RCW 11.130, repeals, effective January 1, 2021, the Non Parental custody statute, RCW 26.10, in its entirety and replaces it with a new statutory framework. Article 2 of the UGA provides for the appointment of an attorney for the parent(s) and for children under certain circumstances.
Spokane County Superior Court is requesting qualifications and relevant information from local attorneys interested in providing legal representation to parents and/or children in UGA actions. Attorneys could choose to represent only parents, only children, or both.
To be considered for inclusion on the court appointed attorney list, please submit the following:
1. A current resume, outlining your professional knowledge, skills, years of experience, training / certifications, and professional affiliations
2. A cover letter, specifying the list(s) you are applying for and detailing:
- Experience providing legal representation services in family law, dependency, guardianship or related areas of law; and
- A brief description of your expected approach to handling these cases, including the case management and client contact procedures and processes; and
- Experience providing indigent representation services.
The County pay rate is tentatively set at $1,400 per case. If the attorney believes additional funds are needed, a proper motion for authorization will need to be presented to the Court prior to expending any additional funds.
Please email the materials listed above along with any other relevant information to Ashley Callan, Court Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honorable John O. Cooney
- Courtroom 408, Family Law Judge
Honorable Shelley Szambelan
- Courtroom 4A, Family Law Judge
Superior Court Commissioners
- Family Law Center, Room 200, 509-477-5702
- Honorable Tami M. Chavez, Room 306
- Honorable Nichole Swennumson, Juvenile Court
- Honorable Kevin Stewart, Room 200
- Honorable Michelle Ressa, Room 200
- Honorable John Stine, Court Administrator's Office
- Honorable Tony M. Rugel, Room 200
- Honorable Julia Pelc, Court Administrator's Office
- Honorable Jacquelyn High-Edward, Room 304
Family Law Responsibilities
- Family Law / Domestic Relations Matters include:
- Dissolution/Legal Separation/Invalidity of a Marriage
- Modification of Custody/Parenting Plan
- Modification of Child Support Order
- Establishment of Parentage (Paternity)
- Minor Guardianships
- Ex Parte Court
- Civil Commitment
Family Law Coordinator
The Family Law Coordinator coordinates all Court calendars, schedules and case management issues for the 8 Court Commissioners.
Family Court Facilitator
The Family Court Facilitator facilitates to empower Pro Se individuals with necessary instructions, forms, and efforts necessary to participate with the Family Court.
Children's Waiting Room
The Children's Waiting Room is a free drop-in childcare program available to residents of Spokane County attending to business on the Spokane County Courthouse campus.
Daily Court Room Assignments
View daily court room assignments.