Crime Prevention Unit
About the Office
The Spokane County Sheriff's Office Crime Prevention Unit consists of two deputies and the Neighborhood Watch Coordinator. One of the deputies is assigned to the City of Spokane Valley. The Unit is committed to providing education that empowers the citizens of Spokane County to help deter crime and assist with enhancing public safety. These services are provided free of charge.
Neighborhood Watch is a program under S.C.O.P.E. (Sheriff Community Oriented Policing Effort), a 501c3 non-profit organization supporting the Sheriff's Office.
View current Crime Prevention Tips & Trends.
Spokane County Sheriff’s Office 2016 Crime Prevention Conference
The Spokane County Sheriff’s Office Crime Prevention Unit is pleased to present our annual Crime Prevention Conference on Wednesday, October 12, 2016.
Download Application Here
Since October is National Crime Prevention Month, the Spokane County Sheriff’s Office makes presentations that are open to the public on crime prevention topics. This year’s theme is Violence in the Community and the topics include:
- Active Shooter Survival, Active Shooter Prevention
- Bullying in Schools
- Domestic Violence in our Community
- Workplace Violence and Verbal De-escalation
- Human Trafficking
- More topics may be added in the coming weeks.
This year’s Crime Prevention Conference is held at the Spokane County Sheriff’s Training Center located at 6011 N. Chase Road, Newman Lake, WA on Wednesday, October 12, 2016. The doors open at 8:00 a.m., classes start at 9:00 a.m. and go until 4:00 pm. The cost to attend the conference is $10 for the general public and $5 for SCOPE Volunteers. The cost of admission covers refreshments and lunch. Cash and checks are accepted. Please make checks out to Spokane County Neighborhood Watch.
When: October 12, 2016
Where: Spokane County Sheriff’s Office Training Center 6011 N. Chase Rd., Newman Lake, WA
Classes Start: 8:00 a.m.
Cost: $10 General Public
$5 SCOPE Volunteers
** Includes refreshments
Surviving an Active Shooter Event
- Ready Houston: Run. Hide. Fight. Surviving and Active Shooter Event
- Avoid, Defy, Defend: Civilian Response to Active Shooter Events
Educational Topics and Programs
- Neighborhood Watch
- Map your neighborhood
- Disaster Preparedness
- Home and Business Security Surveys
- Safe Streets / Nuisance Abatement
- Crime Free Multi-Housing
- Fraud and Identity Theft Prevention
- Investment Fraud Prevention
- Personal Safety
- internet Safety
- McGruff the Crime Dog Programs and Child Safety
- Firearms Safety
- Robbery Prevention and Procedures
- Retail Theft Prevention
- Drug Awareness
- Terrorism Awareness and Domestic Preparedness
- Workplace Violence Prevention / Dealing with Hostile Individuals
- Emergency Response Procedures (Evacuation vs. Shelter-In-Place)
- Public Speaking
- SARA Problem Solving
Spokane County Crime Prevention Office
The Spokane County Crime Prevention Office is located at the Spokane Valley Mall. Enter the mall via the main mall entrance on the West side. Go up the escalators and turn left. We are next to Sears and Silver Safari. Please feel free to stop by if you are in the area. We are open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., and sometimes on Saturdays, but please call to be sure we are in as our front desk is staffed by volunteers who may be unavailable due to illness or other commitments. Please give us a call at 509-893-3934.