Eligibility Criteria & Types of Services Available
New clients are taken between the hours of 8 a.m. and 10 a.m., Monday through Friday, or by appointment. If you are new, we strongly encourage you to call first before coming in.
We do not see new clients on the first working day of each month; please plan accordingly and call us if you have any questions..
Before we can assist veterans, state law requires us to obtain certain "qualifying" documentation. All veterans who receive services from our office must provide proof of the following:
- Proof of Honorable Discharge (DD-214) -Copy 2 or 4, or a hospital inquiry (HINQ) from the Spokane VA Medical Center from the Armed Forces of the United States and have completed service obligations. Also bring marriage license and minor children's birth certificates if applicable. Honorable military service is defined by RCW 41.047.
- Proof of Residency in the State of Washington for at least 12 months and must be currently residing in Spokane County.
- Proof of Income at the time of application (tax return, pay stubs, DSHS, VA and Social Security award letters etc.). Income can be no greater than 150% of the monthly/annual poverty level established by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Types of Emergency Services Available
Our "emergency assistance," (a.k.a. "relief"), is provided in voucher form to a specific vendor (for example: grocery store, landlord, etc.) for the following emergency related needs:
- Rent (facing eviction)
This type of assistance requires an application whereby we thoroughly investigate the cause of the threat of eviction before assisting. This type of assistance is often conditional as well. We’ll be endeavoring with you to help ensure that these circumstances are not reoccurring.
- Burial assistance
- Work clothing (limited availability)
- Gasoline and bus passes
- Water and electric (if facing shut-off)
This type of assistance requires an application as well. We thoroughly investigate the cause(s) of the threat of being shut-off before assisting. This type of assistance is conditional too. We’ll assist with advising veterans to help ensure that these circumstances are not reoccurring.
- Furnace oil (limited availability)
- Prescription and other medical supplies (very limited availability by application)