Mike SHE is a finite difference model that is deterministic,
distributed and physically based modeling system. In the Spokane
Watershed Model Mike SHE is coupled with Mike 11 (a channel
routing model) to provide a integrated surface water - groundwater
model. The basic Mike SHE model includes six modular components;
each describing a major flow process of the hydrologic cycle.
- Saturated flow (3-D Boussinesq Equation)
- Unsaturated flow(1-D Richards Equation)
- Overland Flow (2-D St Venant's Equations)
- Evapotranspiration and Interception (Kristensen and Jensen)
- Snowmelt (Degree-Day)
- Channel Flow (1-D St. Venant equations)
Additionally, in the Spokane Watersheds, simulation of lawn
watering, agricultural irrigation, and drywells was included.
A primary benefit of the Mike SHE modeling environment is
its ability to simulate groundwater and surface water interactions.