CARA Wastewater Evaluation
Spokane County is performing a review of a portion of the Critical Aquifer Recharge Area (CARA) requirements relating to non-residential wastewater regulations outside the Urban Growth Area (UGA) Boundary. Through a transparent process involving stakeholders, the review of the above-referenced portion of the CARA is being conducted with technical assistance from HDR Engineering. The technical aspects of the project include:
- An independent evaluation of potential wastewater loadings to soil from non-residential uses and activities.
- Determination of non-residential wastewater constituent loadings that would be protective of groundwater and surface water
- An evaluation of the need for standard revisions; and if applicable, development of recommendations for standard revisions that are protective of groundwater and surface water.
The stakeholder engagement elements of the project include a survey of interested parties, development of a CARA Review Committee, periodic updates to interested parties, and opportunities for interested parties to provide comments. The CARA Review Committee will include twelve to fifteen stakeholders that represent a variety of viewpoints and interests. The Committee will participate in four to five meetings at key points during the project, and be asked to:
- Share perspectives.
- Provide feedback on the technical aspects of the CARA review.
- Provide comments and suggestions relating to draft recommendations for CARA standard revisions (if applicable).
If recommendations for CARA standard revisions are developed, draft revisions would be presented to the Spokane County Planning Commission and go through a formal public hearing process before being adopted by the Board of County Commissioners.
CARA Map with UGA Boundaries
CARA Survey Results
Comments on Technical Documents
CARA Review Meeting Agendas and Summaries
CARA Review Meeting Handouts
CARA Review Meeting Presentations
Revised CARA Standard Documents