1116 W. Broadway Ave
2nd Floor
Spokane, WA 99202
Contact Us


Frequently Asked Questions

General Information, Your Tax Statement, Your Property, Paying Your Taxes, Personal Property, Online Bill Presentment and Payment

Our Frequently Asked Questions are divided into six sections: General Information; Your Tax Statement; Your Property; Paying Your Taxes; Personal Property and Online Bill Presentment and Payment. These sections are designed to provide answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the Treasurer's Office and your taxes.

If you have any suggestions or comments regarding this page, please do not hesitate to contact us.

General Information

Your Tax Statement

Your Property

Paying Your Taxes

Personal Property

Online Bill Presentment and Payment

What are the Treasurer's Office hours?

The Treasurer's Office is open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., including the lunch hour. See our current observed holiday schedule. Adobe Reader is necessary to view the observed holiday schedule. Click here to download a free copy of Adobe Reader now.

Where is the Treasurer's Office located?

The Treasurer's Office is located on the second floor of the Spokane County Courthouse at 1116 West Broadway Avenue.  Click here for driving directions and a map.

Where should I mail my tax payments?

Spokane County Treasurer
PO Box 199
Spokane, WA 99210-0199

Is there a drop box?

Yes. Drop boxes are located within the Courthouse at 1116 West Broadway. They are open the week before each due date.

Please remember to include your original tax stub or parcel number(s) with your payment. Only payments by check are accepted in the drop boxes.

Can anyone see my tax account records?

Yes. Property tax records are public records.

Why haven't I received my statement yet?

The Treasurer's Office may have an incorrect mailing address, a mortgage company may be paying your taxes, or we may be holding the statement for an adjustment that needs to be made prior to mailing (i.e. senior or disability exemptions).

If you have not received a statement by March 31st, please contact the Treasurer's Office or call (509) 477-4713.

Where can I get copies of my tax statement?

There are several ways to get a copy of your tax statement.

They can be found on our website.  Click here and do a search for your parcel using the parcel number or an address.  You will find the statement under the Notices tab at the top of the page.

You can contact the Treasurer's Office and a current statement can be faxed, emailed or mailed to you.

You can also request a statement online or download the request form. For more information, go to the Request Forms section.

How do I change my name or address?

A name or address change can be taken by phone, mail, or in person. You can also change your name/address online or download the request form. Click here for more information.

You may only request a taxpayer change through the Treasurer's Office.

Any request for owner name/address change must be done through the Assessor's Office. A legal document such as a deed, real estate contract, divorce decree, death certificate, or a court document must be provided. Please remember to include your parcel number(s) for any of these requests.

I just sold my property. What should I do with the statement?

The tax statement should be forwarded to the purchaser or returned to the Treasurer's Office. If you choose to return the statement, please note the purchaser's name and address so we can contact the new owner.

What should I do when the situs or location address of my property is printed incorrectly on the statement?

Contact the Assessor's Office to request a correction of this address.

Why did I receive a statement when my taxes are paid by a mortgage company?

If you or your agent have informed us that your taxes will be paid by a mortgage company, we will send you an Information Only postcard. This courtesy information is provided to you so that you have a record of the taxes billed to your mortgage company.

If a mortgage company is no longer paying your taxes (the loan has been paid off, the loan has been sold to another company that does not require impounds, etc.), you are responsible for making your payments in a timely manner. Please contact our office or call (509) 477-4713 to update your records for this change and to obtain a tax statement.

How are my taxes calculated?

Click here for an explanation of how property taxes are calculated.

Why is the value of my property high?

The value is set by the Assessor's office.

Are there any special requirements to sell real or personal property?

A Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavit form must be filed with the Treasurer's Office prior to a deed being recorded in the Auditor's Office. Payment must be made at the time the affidavit is filed. If transferring a mobile home, current, delinquent, and advanced property taxes may also be payable at this time.

I am gifting my property. What should I do?

There is a Real Estate Excise Tax Supplement statement form that must be completed and signed by both parties. This must accompany a completed Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavit form. These documents are filed in the Treasurer's Office. There is a $10.00 fee if no taxes are due.

Where can I get a copy of the Real Estate Excise Affidavit and other related forms?

You can obtain these forms at the Treasurer's Office free of charge or the Washington State Department of Revenue.

How long do I have to process my property transfer and pay excise tax?

You have 30 days from the date of sale to avoid interest and penalty on the excise taxes due.

When are property taxes due?

First half property taxes are due by April 30th. Second half taxes are due by October 31st. If either of these due dates fall on a weekend or a holiday, payments are due the next business day. Go to Holiday Schedule for more information.  If paying on the due date, you may make your payment in person, by mail or through our website.  An official U.S. Postal Service postmark determines the payment date for all mailed payments. 

Can I make partial payments?

Yes, partial payments are accepted.  For more information, please call 1-509-477-4713.

Can I pay my taxes with a credit or debit card?

Yes. Taxes can be paid by credit or debit card by calling 1-509-477-4713 or paying online at  A fee, set by the vendor, is charged for processing credit card and debit card payments.

How do I know if my mortgage company is paying my taxes?

If the postcard you receive states "COURTESY/INFORMATION ONLY" at the top, our records show that you or your agent has instructed us to bill a mortgage company for the taxes on this parcel. If this is incorrect, you need to pay the taxes prior to the due date to avoid delinquent charges and contact your mortgage company to verify escrow status.

My mortgage company no longer pays my taxes. What should I do?

Contact the Treasurer's Office immediately with the correct taxpayer's address. Under Washington Law, it is the taxpayer's responsibility to insure taxes are paid on their property.

How long before the county forecloses my property?

Real property foreclosure will start if any one tax is three full years delinquent.

Example #1: If the 2004 full tax that was due on April 30, 2004 was $100.00 and nothing has been paid, foreclosure would not start until April 30, 2007.

Example #2: If the 2004 full tax was $100.00 and $50.00 was paid on or before October 31, 2004, that tax would not go to sale until 2008.

How can I obtain Tax Foreclosure information?

Go to the Foreclosure Section or call (509) 477-6446. You can also use our contact form for more information.

When is the Tax Foreclosure Auction?

Contact the Treasurer's Office or call (509) 477-6446 for real estate or (509) 477-5746 for personal property and mobile homes. You can also use our contact form for more information.

What do I need to know when paying taxes under protest?

Payments under protest must be in writing and comply with the provisions of the state law. These laws can be found in the Revised Code of Washington, 84.60.020.

Are there exemptions for seniors and disabled persons?

Yes. If you are 62 years old or older or disabled, own the house you live in, and have an annual income of $35,000 or less, you may be entitled to a property tax reduction.

For application and further information, call the Assessor's Office at (509) 477-5754.

Does the Treasurer collect liens?

Yes.  Counties, cities, and municipalities have the authority per the Revised Code of Washington to add liens on the property tax roll for individual parcels. This type of lien may be added at any time throughout the year. Examples of the types of liens that can be placed on the parcel are: demolition of buildings, spraying for noxious weeds on individual parcels, and delinquent assessment charges for city improvement districts.

The liens include any interest, penalty and/or cost owed the local government or municipality. The county, city or municipality will charge an additional interest rate on the principle amount due from the date certified to the treasurer until the date paid in accordance with the applicable RCW. When a lien is put on the property, it is billed and collected as real property. When making a payment, the lien amount must be included or the payment will be returned. The Treasurer cannot accept partial payments.

What is personal property?

This is a detailed area, please go to Personal Property for more information.

Who administers the personal property tax?

The tax is administered at the county in which the business is physically located. The location of the business owner's residence is not relevant unless that is also the location of the business.

The Spokane County Assessor's Office determines the assessed value of taxable personal and real property in Spokane County (RCW 84.40.040). The Assessor's Office also calculates levy rates based on information provided by its various taxing jurisdictions.

The Spokane County Treasurer bills and collects taxes on personal and real property in Spokane County (RCW 87.03.440). In counties with low business activity, the Assessor may be responsible for both the valuation and collection functions.

In Spokane County, contact the Assessor's Office with questions about the valuation of your property (509-477-4787). Contact the Treasurer's Office for questions about a personal property tax bill.

If I have any other questions about personal property, who should I contact?

Contact the Spokane County Assessor's Office at (509) 477-4787.

What are some of the benefits of receiving my bill electronically?

It is convenient, saves time, reduces errors, allows you to receive bills anywhere at any time and helps the environment by saving trees. You can continue to receive a paper bill, but if you elect to go paperless, you can always print out a copy of the invoice if needed.

What are the benefits of paying a bill online?

 Paying online with a credit card or electronic check saves time, gives you the flexibility to pay how and when desired, and saves money (no more stamps, paper checks or envelopes), and Invoice Cloud will store your information for future use – but only if you choose to store it.

How does the system work?

It is very simple. Here are the 3 steps taken by customers:
1.       Customer receives email notification or accesses account via the Biller website by clicking on the “View or Pay Your Bill” button.
2.       Customer locates and views invoice and either enters payment information for a One Time Payment or registers to schedule a payment.
3.       Customer receives an email confirmation with their payment amount and payment process date.

Do I need to register to pay a bill?

Registration is not required for One Time Payments. One Time Payments require that you enter your payment information each time you make a payment. By registering, you avoid that step and gain access to your payment history.

What forms of payment can I use?

 You can pay by credit or debit card or you may issue an electronic check from your bank account (checking or savings). Please check our website for eligible credit and debit cards.

How will I know that my payment has been accepted?

After you submit your payment, you will see a payment confirmation screen. It will contain your payment confirmation message. It will show an approved number for credit cards or a processed number for electronic check. You will also receive a confirmation email after your transaction is submitted. The email will include your account number, invoice number, amount paid, and confirmation message. If your electronic check does not pass through the bank, you will receive an email informing you of the rejected payment. You may need to contact our office to pay again.

What are the costs for paying electronically?

There are no signup costs or subscription fees. The non refundable convenience fee when using an ACH transfer (electronic check) from your checking or savings account is $0.45 per transaction.

The non refundable convenience fee when using credit or debit cards is a percentage-based or flat rate fee that varies depending on the card type. The convenience fee is automatically calculated based upon the type of card used and the dollar amount of the bill being paid and is shown on the payment page before you submit your payment for processing.

There are fees imposed by Biller/Invoice Cloud for returned payments, and your bank may charge you a fee based on the bank's fee schedule.

Will I be able to print a copy of my bill?

Yes, each invoice is presented in PDF and HTML format. Electronic storage is recommended because it saves paper and has a beneficial impact on our environment.

When I sign up to "Go Paperless", will I still receive a paper bill in the mail?

No, you will receive an email notification each time a new bill is ready for you to view and pay. Email notifications go to the email address used when you registered, a second email address may be added if you wish to send notifications to an additional or back up email address.

Can I start receiving paper bills again?

Yes, simply go into your profile and under Paperless Options, select “No, I don’t want to go paperless.” Be sure to update/save the change.   

I received an email stating "Thank you for going paperless", but I DID NOT sign up for paperless. 

Option 1: Customer must click on “Complete paperless process” link within email to complete enrollment. If they do not, the paperless option will not be active and will drop off system within a few days. 

Option 2: Customer can log into account and cancel paperless registration.
Choose >My Profile>paperless option>cancel paperless registration.

I accidentally deleted my current email notification, what should I do?

 If you are registered, you can login via your biller website and view the bill there, or you can call your biller’s office and ask them to resend the email. 

If I have additional questions about my bill or am having trouble registering, who should I call? 

The Treasurer's Office, at 509-477-4713, can answer most questions, but if the website is down or inoperable, please call Invoice Cloud customer service at (781) 848-3733.



The foregoing questions and answers are not intended as legal advice. All taxpayers are advised to educate themselves as to the law and their legal rights and obligations as taxpayers and/or to obtain the advice of an attorney.