Courthouse Logo
County Sheriff
Public Safety Building
1100 West Mallon
Spokane, WA
Contact Us
Print this page 
Email this page to a friend 

Press Release from the Spokane Investigative Regional Response Team

Posted 9/7/2012 6:54 PM by MDGREGORY

SCSO Deputy Shooting Investigation Update

Spokane Investigative Regional Response (SIRR) continue their investigation of the Spokane Sheriff's Deputies shooting of a domestic violence suspect, identified as Edward S. Gover (4/16/65) The shooting occurred on September 5, 2012, just after noon, in the backyard of 1309 N. Ct.

The two involved deputies were interviewed today by SIRR detectives. Deputy Aaron Childress, a 13 year veteran and Deputy Eric Werner, a 23 year veteran were the two deputies involved in the shooting.

Deputy Childress had responded to a domestic violence call between the victim and Gover back in June and was familiar with their situation.

Deputy Childress' contacted the victim inside her residence on September 5, 2012. She explained the assault from the night before; a struggle with a knife resulting in a laceration to her arm, Gover took her cell phone (the only phone) and told her he was going to kill her and then himself. He continued to demand that she get a handgun from the safe. The victim was convinced Gover would kill her if she attempted to leave. The next morning, Gover stole her Mercedes and left the residence. Gover met with an acquaintance that morning and made suicidal statements. He returned to the home several times before deputies arrived.

Deputy Childress developed probable cause for 2nd degree assault, he photographed the victim's injuries, and was in the process of obtaining a written victim statement. The victim described the knife in detail and showed Childress a similar knife.

Concerned that Gover may return to the victim's home, he asked Deputy Werner to assist on the dv call. Deputy Childress briefed Deputy Werner about the domestic violence assault and advised him his concern about the knife and handgun.

Deputy Bond met Deputy Werner mid block on Skipworth Ct, while Dep. Childress parked in a neighbor's driveway to write his report. All 3 deputies were concerned Gover would return to kill the victim.

Deputy Bond and Deputy Werner were parked driver door to driver door mid block when Gover returned in the Mercedes. The deputies recognized Gover's intense, determined look and were concerned about his state of mind.

Deputies pursued Gover away from the home and found the Mercedes abandoned a few streets away. Deputies were concerned Gover was going to return to the victim's home, so they returned to the Skipworth address. Deputy Childress attempted to have the victim notified of Gover's return and advised her to lock all the doors.

When deputies got to the victim's home, they found several doors open and they couldn't find the victim. Deputies were extremely concerned they had a hostage situation.

Deputies began searching the area for Gover. As Dep. Childress entered the backyard, Gover popped his head up over the fence. Dep. Childress yelled at Gover that he is under arrest and to come over the fence.

Gover jumped the 6ft fence and said he had something in his hands and indicated he had a weapon. Gover shoved his hand into his pants pocket, said he had a knife and then pulled his hand out and put it behind his back, in an attempt to conceal it from deputies. Deputies saw something black and shiny in Gover's hand. Gover yelled to officers that they would have to kill him and continued to charge at Dep. Childress. Gover was able to advance within 8-10 feet of Dep. Childress; both deputies believed Gover was armed with a weapon. Throughout the encounter, Dep. Childress was giving commands for Gover to show his hands, get on the ground and as Gover was charging him, Dep. Childress yelled at Gover to stop. Dep. Childress fired his handgun five times and Dep. Werner fired his shotgun once.

Deputies immediately began performing CPR until medics arrived.
Detectives located a set of keys, black and shiny, next to Gover after the shooting. Detectives also located the knife used in the assault in the kitchen and discovered the handgun was still in the safe.

Detectives are continuing their investigation, and once completed the report will be submitted to the Prosecutor's Office for review.