Courthouse Logo
County Sheriff
Public Safety Building
1100 West Mallon
Spokane, WA
Contact Us
Print this page 
Email this page to a friend 

Busy Night for Crash Investigators (Part 1)

Posted 8/20/2012 9:09 AM by MDGREGORY

On Sunday August 18th around 2:21 am, Spokane Valley deputies responded to the intersection of Sprague Ave and Greenacres Rd on the report of a two-vehicle collision. Upon arriving at the scene, deputies found a 1999 Ford F-350 pickup while traveling south on Greenacres Rd had struck a 2002 Nissan Altima that was going eastbound on Sprague Ave. The Ford F-350 had failed to stop at the posted stop sign at the intersection.

Both drivers received serious injuries and were transported to a local hospital. Due to the seriousness of injuries, Spokane Valley Police traffic investigators were called to the scene to reconstruct the crash. In the initial investigation, traffic investigators learned the driver of the Ford pickup, 29-year-old Jason Harold of Greenacres, WA, had been drinking.

Harold was arrested for vehicular assault at the hospital and a blood sample was taken from him to determine his alcohol concentration. These results will take about a month to get back from the state toxicology laboratory. Harold received a serious head and eye injury, along with several fractured ribs. Harold was not wearing his seatbelt at the time of the collision. Harold remains in ICU at a local hospital at this time.

The driver of the Nissan was a 16-year-old female Spokane Valley resident. Her 18-year-old boyfriend, Timothy Ruebush, was riding in the front passenger seat. The 16-year-old driver received a large cut on her head that needed surgery to repair. She was admitted to the hospital and was listed in satisfactory condition. Ruebush sustained a possible broken right hand. He was treated and released from the hospital. Both occupants of the Nissan were wearing their seatbelts.

The scene evidence suggests Harold was operating his pickup well above the posted speed limit, as his vehicle struck and knocked out a street sign and fire hydrant, rolled once, and then came to rest after impacting a large tree. The Nissan Altima was impacted hard enough that it did not come to rest until well over a hundred feet south from the point of impact. Both vehicles also struck and took out several feet of the local residences’ fences. In addition, the F-350 pickup had a partial load of river rock in the bed of the truck which was thrown and scattered all over the roadway and took awhile to clean up.

Information about this Spokane Sheriff News story is also available at