Haynes Estate Conservation Area
This conservation area contains 97 acres offering riparian and upland wildlife habitats with almost 1/2 mile of relatively undisturbed shorelines along the Little Spokane River. The site is timbered with native Ponderosa pine, Douglas fir an understory; throughout the property are topographic benches, steep slopes, granite outcrops, and informal trails.
The property is located in a rapidly growing area and several roads were rough graded in anticipation of residential development. The Friends of the Little Spokane River Valley is working with Spokane County Parks, Recreation and Golf Department to develop a master plan for rehabilitation of the property.
- Wildlife habitat
- Wildlife observation
- Nature trails
- Equestrian trails
- Cross-country skiing
- Fishing as permitted, subject to state regulations
- Dogs can be disruptive to wildlife and must be kept on a leash at all times while in the conservation area.
- Motorized vehicles are not permitted in the conservation area.
- Hunting and/or shooting are not permitted at any time in the conservation area.
- No campfires are permitted in the conservation area.
- Please respect private property. Do not disturb neighbors.
- Take Division St. exit #281
- Drive north on Division St., approximately 6.5 miles
- At the 'Y' take the right fork to Highway 2 East
- Drive approximately 3.5 miles to Farwell Road and turn right onto Farwell
- Turn left on Shady Slope Road, drive 1.5 miles
- Turn left on Leona Drive
- At the end of Leona Drive is the Haynes Estate Conservation Area
Click here for a location and site map of the Haynes Estate Conservation Area (805 KB pdf) Full size print-out is 11 x 17, but can be scaled to 8.5 x 11.
Special attractions at Haynes Estate Conservation Area include:
- Waterfowl habitat with 1/2 mile of the Little Spokane River shoreline
- Trails and paths for hiking in the uplands area
- Landowner donation for maintenance and operation in the conservation area
Wildlife content will be updated as information is made available.