The long-range goal of Juvenile Detention is to produce contributing citizens. The immediate objectives toward that goal are to provide a safe and secure environment, enforce accountability, and promote positive change for detained youth.
Guiding Principles for Use of Detention
Pre-sentenced: In the absence of appropriate less restrictive alternatives, secure detention is reserved for high risk youth who pose a danger to self or the community or who are not likely to attend court hearings (per Detention Risk Assessment Instrument-DRAI).
Principle for Detaining: Confinement may be ordered as part of the original sentence and in response to probation violations. When ordered, confinement is used in measured increments where youth are placed in the least restrictive setting providing for community safety, accountability, and positive change for detained youth.
- Conflict Diversity Class
- Drug Education Class (Outside Speakers)
- Family Night (Reframing, skill building, and family fun)
- Food Handlers Cards. (By ESD 101 staff and coordinated with Spokane Regional Health District)
- Girls Group (By Mentors, Interns, JCO's)
- Groups led by Juvenile Corrections Officers
- Guest Speakers from the Community
- Individual Behavior Counseling by Group Leaders, Mental Health Counselor
- Intern Program (One on one counseling, groups, CBT support, independent living skills)
- Leadership Class
- Mental Health Counseling (Daily Monday-Friday)
- Mental Health Reviews and Updates with Staff, School, Interns and Management Team (Coordinated by the Medical Department)
- Mental Health Screening
- Mentoring Program
- Orientation (Orientation for new Admits)
- Physical Training (Daily)
- Religious Programs (See Bible Study above, also individual Mentoring)
- Bible Study Groups (Wednesday and Sunday)
- Bible Study Group (for youth that don't get visitors / Thursday and alternate Tuesdays)
- School ESD 101 (For inside detention and youth outside detention / SAC)
- STD Education Program
- Substance Abuse Screening and Follow Up
- Teen Aid Program
- Teen challenge international program
- Visitation with Parents, Families and Mentors
- The Juvenile Detention Center is a 39 bed facility with 7 Intake/booking cells.
- It operates 7 days a week, 24 hours per day
- There is a total of 51 full time staff in detention.
- There are approximately 54 volunteers.
- Meals (breakfast and lunch) meet or exceed national nutrition guidelines
Take a Virtual Tour of the Detention Facility
Contact Juvenile Detention
24 Hour Number (509) 477-2462