Spokane County
1116 W. Broadway Ave
Spokane, WA 99260
Contact Us
Print this page 
Email this page to a friend 

Applying for a Public Defender Now

The Spokane County Public Defender's Office cannot represent anyone without first being appointed either by Spokane County Pre-Trial Services or directly by a judge. Persons in custody will be seen by Pre-Trial Services to determine eligibility for appointment of counsel. Persons out of custody should follow the instructions below.

Applying for a Court Appointed Attorney

Applications for a Public Defender are taken at the Office of Pre-Trial Services. The process can be lengthy so we suggest that you contact the Children’s Waiting Room by calling 477-6815 to arrange for free childcare. The Children’s Waiting Room is located in the Broadway Centre Building at 1120 W Broadway (diagonally across from the Courthouse.)

You must apply in person - We encourage you to make application immediately after setting a court date. One of three determinations will be made at that time:

  1. Appoint a Public Defender without fee
  2. Appoint a Public Defender with a fee
  3. Deny appointment of Public Defender (In most instances you have a right to appeal a denial, information will be provided to you.)

Where: Office of Pre-Trial Services
Second Floor of the Public Safety Building (Go up the stairs and turn right)
1100 West Mallon
Spokane, WA 99260

Phone: 477-3960 Extension 4

When: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Documentation Needed

You may be asked to provide documentation of the following items:

  • Court Papers: (all papers listing court dates, charges, release conditions)
  • Public Assistance Information
    • Documentation of your status for assistance. Examples: AFDC Grant letter, Food Stamp Quest Card, Medical Coupon, Medicaid or SSI Grant letter.
  • Income Information
    • Current pay stubs
    • Spouse’s current pay stubs (only if you are charged with a crime where your spouse is not the victim)
    • For self employed - copy of last year’s income tax returns and income statements
    • Unemployment compensation
    • Documentation of any other income you receive that is reportable for federal tax purposes.
  • Basic Living Costs Information
    • Receipt for rent/mortgage
    • Current utility bills
    • Loan payments (Payments for vehicle/credit cards/consolidated debt/student loans etc)
    • Health care payments
    • Support payments or other court ordered obligations
    • Child Care Costs
NOTE: You must appear in court on the next scheduled court date whether or not you have met with your Public Defender.