Citizen Participation Policy
It is Spokane County Community Services, Housing, and Community Development Department’s intention to provide Spokane County residents with the opportunity to be involved in the County’s Community Development programs. Residents are asked to be involved in developing program objectives, reviewing and commenting on projects recommended for funding, and reviewing program performance.
It is the policy of the department that residents will have ongoing access to CDBG and HOME information and timely notification of program activities and identification of projects which could result in the displacement of area residences or businesses, and the actions that would be undertaken if such displacement were necessary.
The department will provide opportunities for residents to access CDBG and HOME program information through:
- Newspaper notices of the availability of the department’s annual planning, reporting and performance, and policy documents.
- Public meetings and Public Hearings to discuss housing and community development needs, activities for which funding is proposed, and program performance.
- Mailing of program information to the organizations and individuals on the department’s mailing lists.
- Advertisement of CDBG and HOME funded services to Spokane County residents. Specific marketing methods vary according to the type of service and client group. All services are affirmatively marketed to low income persons, minority persons, and individuals with disabilities.
- Newspaper notices containing the times, location, and dates of meetings of the Housing and Community Development Advisory Committee.
- Publication of Community Development Block Grant business items which require official adoption, execution or other action on the Meeting Agenda for the Board of County Commissioners.