Courthouse Logo
Building & Planning
Public Works Building
1026 West Broadway
Spokane, WA 99260
Contact Us
Department of Building and Planning
Skip Navigation Links
Print this page 
Email this page to a friend 

Frequently Asked Code Enforcement Questions

 How do I Register a Complaint?

With the exception of unsafe or dangerous buildings or structures, if you feel an alleged activity is appropriate for investigation by or Department, you must provide us with a signed complaint either by letter or on a completed form available from our office.  Written complaints must include an address or other identification, owner's name (if known), and a complete description of your concern.  You must include your name, address and phone number together with a request for confidentiality if you feel your personal safety or property would be endangered by disclosure of your identity.  Anonymous or phone complaints can not be acted upon unless an immediate life safety issue is present.

What Happens After a Complaint is Filed?

Once a complaint is received in our office it is reviewed for appropriateness and adequacy of information.  Issues must be inside Spokane County and outside the city limits of Spokane or other incorporated areas.  A quick background check is conducted.  Inappropriate complaints are discarded, returned to the complainant or forwarded to the correct agency.  A sequence of actions then occurs:  The site is inspected, the complaint is verified and notification is then sent to the property owner.  If the owner complies the complaint file is closed.  If no compliance take place the complaint is then forwarded to the county prosecutors for legal action.

Initial action on a complaint will normally begin within 2 or 3 days.  An inspection of the site will occur within 5 working days.  Resolutions however, can take weeks, months and sometimes longer depending on the complexity and legal ramifications involved.