The Greater Morgan Acres Neighborhood boundary encompasses an area from the corner of Wellesley Avenue and Haven Street south on Haven Street to Garland Avenue, east to Market Street, south to Illinois Avenue, east to the intersection of Grace Street and Green Street, north on Green Street to Garnet, east on Garnet across Esmeralda Golf Course and along the City limits line to that point where the City line turns north, then follow the City line north to Valley Springs Road and continue into Spokane County along the same azimuth to the intersection of Bigelow Gulch Road, southwest on Gerlach Road to Freya Street, west on Freya Street to Market Avenue, north on Market Avenue to Magnesium Road and west on Magnesium Road to Crestline Street, south on Crestline Street to Wellesley Avenue and east on Wellesley Avenue to the point of commencement at Haven Street.
The Greater Morgan Acres neighborhood is serviced by both Group A and Group B water systems. The water systems in the area are North Spokane Irrigation District #8, Mt. St. Michaels, Kaiser South, Kaiser North, Spokane County Water District #3, and System #3B (Morgan Acres). The City of Spokane area is serviced by the same.
Fire District #9 serves the subarea.
The City of Spokane area is serviced by the City of Spokane, the County jurisdiction is not sewered and is not in the 15-year Sewer Plan.
The southern part of the subarea is in an aquifer-sensitive area.
Multiple zoning classifications.
Land Use Classes
There are several land use designations within the boundaries of the Greater Morgan Acres Subarea, among these are low-density residential, community commercial, heavy industrial, light industrial, rural conservation, rural, rural-5, and medium-density residential.
Generalized Land Use
There are a variety of land uses within this subarea with urban residential and commercial land uses located, primarily, within the City of Spokane limits. Within the County's jurisdiction are one-acre (semi-rural) type developments, industrial uses to a lower density, and rural-type development in the North.
Mt. St. Michaels
The Mt. St. Michael Seminary was built in the same vicinity of the first Catholic mission serving the Spokane Indians from 1866. Built in 1914 by noted Spokane architect Julius Zittel, Mount St. Michael's represents an outgrowth of the first Jesuit seminary to be established west of the Mississippi River and remains a symbol of the development of Catholicism in the Pacific Northwest.
Second St. Michaels Mission
No Information available at this time.
Father Cataldo's Grave Site
No Information available at this time.
Treaty Tree, St. Michael's Mission
The Mount St. Michael Treaty Tree site is significant for several reasons. Treaty tree marks the general location of the Upper Spokane Indian's traditional hunting grounds, village location, and burial ground. This burial ground was the first area in which the Spokane Indians adopted the white man's burial custom of interring the dead in graves instead of following the Indian custom of placing the bodies in trees or under rock piles. The Treaty Tree is a tall Ponderosa Pine, that stands alone on the north slope of a low hill. The original Mission and Chief Peone's cabin were located just south of the tree.
The area has a diverse style and condition of housing stock. Within the City of Spokane and the Morgan Acres area, the housing stock is fair to good, with a large population of low-income families living in this area. Further North, around the Mt. Saint Michael's area, there are several new, large homes on large lots with acreage.
There is a drainage basin with wetlands west of Palmer Road on the eastern border of the subarea. A North/South freeway project is planned and is in the beginning stages of construction at the northern boundary of the study area. The planned freeway will follow Freya Street through the subarea.
This page was last edited 6/1/2009 1:14:38 PM .