Courthouse Logo
Department header image
Spokane County Courthouse
1116 West Broadway Ave.
Spokane, WA 99260-0010
Contact Us
Skip Navigation Links
Print this page 
Email this page to a friend 

Exemption Program

Page Topics

Senior/Disabled Exemption Application Form

How to Steps

Seniors residing in Spokane County, who are interested in applying for an exemption, can click on the link below and print out the application.

  • Fill in the application according to the instructions that are attached to the application.
  • Then sign the application with a witness to verify your signature.
  • Attach all supporting documentation.
  • Mail to the assessor's office at:

    Spokane County Assessor
    Exemption Section
    1116 W Broadway Ave
    Spokane, WA 99260-0010 

Senior Citizen and Disabled Person Exemption Application for Property Taxes Due in 2015
Senior Citizen and Disabled Person Exemption Application for Property Taxes Due in 2014

Senior Citizen and Disabled Person Exemption Application for Property Taxes Due in 2013
Senior Citizen and Disabled Person Exemption Application for Property Taxes Due in 2012

Get AcrobatPDF Document These items are PDF documents and you must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to view them. Click on the icon to the right to begin the free download.

There are three exemption levels (A, B, and C) in the Senior/Disabled Exemption Program

Total household income between $0 - $25,000 = Level ‘A’ exemption. You are exempt from voted levies and either $60,000 or 60% reduction in assessed value, whichever is greater.

Total household income between $25,001 - $30,000 = Level ‘B’ exemption. You are exempt from voted levies and either a $50,000 or a 35% reduction in assessed value, (not to exceed $70,000) whichever is greater.

Total household income between $30,001 - $35,000 = Level ‘C’ exemption. You are exempt from voter approved levies only – no reduction in assessed value.

The valuation of the property subject to the exemption is frozen as of the date the applicant first becomes eligible for the program.

*Important Information*

An exemption is generally valid for six years, but it is up to the applicant to notify the Assessor’s Office and re-apply for the exemption if  circumstances change anytime within those six years. A change in status includes:
  • Death of the eligible applicant (survivors must notify the assessor)
  • Change in income – for instance: If you are currently receiving a level ‘A’ exemption at the $0 - $25,000 bracket, but your income goes into the level ‘B’ bracket of $25,001 - $30,000, we must be notified, even if your six years are not up.
  • Sale or transfer of property
  • Move to an alternate primary residence
  • Change in disability status
  • Change in zoning or land use designation if your principle residence includes more than one acre of land.

Any of the above status changes require contacting our office. Applications are available above or you may contact the office at (509) 477-3698.

Comparison between 1999 through 2004 tax Year and 2005 Tax year document

Click Here to download the legislative changes affecting income limits in the exemption program.  View differences between the 1999 through 2004 Tax Years and the new program income limits beginning in the 2005 Tax Year.

Mailing Address Change Form


Assessor's Office
1116 West Broadway
County Courthouse, 1st Floor
Spokane, WA 99260-0010


The Assessor's Office is open Monday through Thursday from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM and Friday from 8:30 AM to 1 PM.

Contact Assessor

Contact the Assessor: Assessor

If your income is under $40,000, you may qualify for a tax "deferral".  Click on the following link to see the DOR brochure on property tax deferrals for seniors/disabled tax payers:


The actual cost of substantial improvement to eligible historic property (25% or greater of the assessed value prior to rehabilitation) may be excluded from assessed value for a period of ten years. Applications are furnished by the Assessor. Approval is made by the local Historical Preservation Board within each jurisdiction.  Helpful forms, brochures, and an overall picture of the program can be found at:

PHYSICAL IMPROVEMENT to Single Family Dwelling (RCW 84.36.400)

Exempts from taxation any physical improvement to a detached single family dwelling for three assessment years subsequent to completion of the improvement, up to 30% of the value of the original structure. This home improvement exemption may be claimed only once in a 5-year period. Normal maintenance work does not qualify. Notice to claim the exemption must be filed with the Assessor PRIOR to completion of the improvement.

MULTIPLE-UNIT EXEMPTION for Urban Centers (RCW 84.14)

Either new or rehabilitated structures having 4 or more dwelling units within a defined urban center may receive exemption on the improvement value for a period of ten years.   For more information go to:

City of Spokane Ordinance C-32575

Exemptions for Other Property


RCW 84.36.010 allows exemption of taxes to all publicly-owned property, such as that of the federal, state, county or city governments and certain tribal lands. This exemption is determined by the Assessor.


All parcels of real and personal property that individually have an assessed value of less than $500 are exempt from property taxation. This exemption is determined by the Assessor.


Many church properties and a variety of properties owned/used by nonprofit organizations may qualify for property tax exemption. Requirements for exemption vary for these nonprofit properties, but are generally based on the activities for which the property is used.

Examples of activities that may qualify for nonprofit exemption include: property used in character building, benevolent, protective or rehabilitative social services, camp facilities, veterans and relief organizations; libraries, orphanages; day care centers, nursing homes and hospitals; schools and colleges; art, scientific and historical collections, fire companies, humane societies, musical and artistic associations, public assembly halls, certain public authorities and sheltered workshops for the disabled.

Nonprofit exemptions are determined by the Property Tax Division of the Washington State Department of Revenue. A detailed application must be made by the nonprofit organization to receive exemption. Churches or other qualifying nonprofits do not receive this exemption automatically. To apply for property tax exemption, a church or nonprofit organization should contact the Exemption Section at the Property Tax Division in Olympia at (360) 570-5871.