Cedar Grove Conservation Area
The property contains 87 acres east of and adjacent to the Liberty Lake Natural Area. This property was the first one acquired through the Spokane County Conservation Futures program in the early 1990s.
The land exhibits a combination of flat, rolling hills to steep terrains. It also ranges from heavily timbered habitats to those that include thicker brush and lighter timber. Acquisition of this property preserves habitat for white-tailed deer, bear, elk, cougar, and native trout while protecting the Liberty Lake watershed area from urban development.
The Cedar Grove Conservation Area also includes 1,500 feet of Liberty Creek frontage. From some vantage points, it provides excellent views of Liberty Lake north toward Mount Spokane.
- Wildlife habitat
- Wildlife observation
- Nature trails
- Picnic areas
- Equestrian trails
- Cross-country skiing
- Fishing as permitted, subject to state regulations
- Dogs can be disruptive to wildlife and must be kept on a leash at all times while in the conservation area.
- Motorized vehicles are not permitted at any time in the conservation area.
- Hunting and/or shooting are not permitted at any time in the conservation area.
- No campfires are permitted in the conservation area.
- Take the Liberty Lake/Otis Orchards exit, #296
- Drive south on Liberty Lake Road for 0.8 miles
- Turn left (east) on Sprague Ave, drive for approximately 1 mile past the golf course
- Sprague Ave turns into Neyland Ave, continue for approx. 1 mile
- At the 'Y' stay right onto Lakeside Rd, drive for approx. 1 mile
- Turn right on Zephyr Rd
- Drive to Liberty Lake Natural Area, through the park entrance (fee=$2.00)
- Stay on road to camping/hiking trails, ending at RV campground
- Trail head is in the southwest corner; Conservation Area is 2+ miles on trail
Note: Parking is limited; please take precautions.
Click here for a location and site map of the Cedar Grove Conservation Area and here for an expanded view of Liberty Lake Regional Park (1.17MB pdf) Full size print-out is 11 x 17, but can be scaled to 8.5 x 11.
Special attractions at the Cedar Grove Conservation Area include:
- Easy to medium hiking trails to Conservation Area
- Part of 7+ mile hiking loop around Liberty Lake Natural Area
- Old growth cedar forest native to Spokane County
- Nearby access to Liberty Lake for swimming and recreation
Please take precautions when hiking in the area.