District Court, Spokane, WA - Department
Honorable Richard Leland
District Court Judge
Broadway Center Bldg.,Courtroom 202
Civil/Small Claims/Adult Name Change
Johnny Shaw; 509.477.2988
- Law Degree: Gonzaga University, Juris Doctor (J.D.), 1989 (cum laude).
- Undergraduate Degree: Washington State University, B.A. Economics, 1976
- Other Professional: Judicial College, January, 2014; Professional Legal Continuing Education, over 500 hours.
- Private Attorney. 1990- Current (24+ years) [significant business law, family law, and litigation experience]
- Financial Experience. Farm Credit System, 1976-1987 [significant financial and administrative experience].
- Spokane County District Court Judge (full-time) (2013- current).
- Spokane County District Court Judge (pro-tem or substitute) (7+ years).
- Moot Court Student Judging Competitions, Gonzaga University.
- Washington State Bar Association (licensed in Washington since 1990) (24+ years)
- Idaho State Bar Association (licensed in Idaho since 1990)(24+ years).
- Spokane County Bar Association (important local affiliation).
- District and Municipal Court Judges Association (important professional affiliation).
Organizations, Awards, and Other:
- Civic Involvement Example: United Way “Loaned Executive”
- Youth Coaching (boys and girls): Little League, SYSA, AAU, School (8+ years).
- Church Involvement: Church School Teacher (8+ years).
- Community Directorships: Little League; Lewis County Mental Health.
- Outside Community Speaking: Toastmasters since 1991 (23+ years).
- Athletic Participation: 1988 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials; Track & Field at W.S.U.
- Selected Awards: Toastmaster International Competitions; “Partner in Justice Award”, Lutheran Community Services, 2014.
- Marriage: 1991 (23+ years).
- Children: son attending Gonzaga University, and daughter attending Whitworth University.
- The Leland Family Extended: Well established extended family in the Spokane area since early 1900’s.
Judge Leland Reaching Out to You:
- Do you have a good idea or suggestion that may assist in improving the District Court process?
- Would you like to sit in on a District Court proceeding to observe how the Court operates?
- Would you like Judge Leland to speak to your civic or community group?
- Would you like Judge Leland to speak to your local school or a child’s classroom?
- Would you, your children, or others like Judge Leland to coordinate a tour of District Court?
- Would you like to participate in an advisory type meeting to assist Judge Leland?
- Would you like to receive the District Court newsletter or other informative correspondence?
- Complaints, concerns, feedback (positive or negative)?
- Is there anything else you would like to share with Judge Leland?
Contact Information: RLeland@SpokaneCounty.org
This page was last edited 12/10/2015 12:14:02 PM .